1) #ENDSARS: If hoodlums don’t stop, we‘ll intervene— OPC
The organisation of Oodua People’s Congress (OPC) has asked for an immediate stoppage of destruction of lives and billions of naira property in the South-West, warning that if the attack continues, the organisation might have no choice than to call out its men and ensure safety in the South West.

OPC regretted the Lekki Tollgate extinguished and the succeeding destruction of lives and properties.

Otunba Wasiu Afolabi, the Deputy President to the late Founder, Dr. Frederick Fasehun, noted in a statement on Friday, that protesters should move away from the streets and end the violence.

The organisation of Oodua People’s Congress (OPC) also asked President Muhammadu Buhari and Lagos governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to quickly set a panel of enquiry at both the Federal and state levels to investigate, identify and brought to book those behind Tuesday’s shooting of unarmed protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos.

Otunba Wasiu Afolabi said, “Such a heinous crime must not be swept under the carpet; or else we shall be nurturing a licence-to-kill mentality in our military men and security operatives as well as open up our civilian citizenry to the abuse and impunity of those supposed to protect us".

OPC said further that the peaceful behaviour of the #EndSARS protests had been controlled by gangsters who now seized the opportunity to loot, cause violence and destroy the economic basis of the South west.

Afolabi added, “Private businesses, many of whom like OPC backed the highly credible #EndSARS campaign, should not suffer for the ineptitude of the government and the criminality of evil policemen.


“And OPC as an organisation will not fold its arms and watch the region turned into the scapegoat of the #EndSARS protests."

The OPC Deputy President released the statement after the OPC member met with executives in Lagos to review occurrences of the last few days.

The organisation stated that every agitation must end on the negotiation table and time had come for protesters to leave the street and see whether or not the government would act on its promise to end SARS and bring about massive transformations in the  Nigeria police force.

Afolabi said in his statement: “The #EndSARS campaigns got our unflinching support and we fully backed the protesters".

2) #ENDSARS: FRSC cried out attack on operatives and Equipments.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has cried out on the attacks of its operatives and equipments due to the ENDSARS protest going on across Nigeria.

Assistant Corps Marshal Bisi Kazeem, who is the Corps Public Education Officer (CPEO), revealed this in an interview with newsmen on Friday in Abuja.

Meanwhile there was a news that the FRSC commands and its personnel in some part of the country had been attacked sequence the ENDSARS protest.

Assistant Corps Marshal Bisi Kazeem stated that the Corps had regretted the damage due to the protest as some of the operational vehicles and tools of operations had been damaged in some part of the nation.

Kazeem added that the Corps Marshal, FRSC, Dr. Boboye Oyeyemi, had ordered that all formations be placed on alert to avert more attack on its operatives due to the ENDSARS protest going on in Nigeria.



3) Why we refused to distribute looted COVID-19 palliatives – Official

The Osun Food and Relief Committee on COVID-19, on Friday, disclosed that, the looted food stuff at a warehouse in Ede town were not hidden, but rather prepared for flag-off of official distribution.
The secretary to the committee, Bayo Jimoh, said in a statement in Osogbo, that the looted food stuff were contributed to the committee as palliatives to the residents by Private Sector Coalition Against COVID-19 (CACOVID).

Some aggrieved youth in the early hours of Friday entered into a store in Ede town and carried away COVID-19 palliatives meant for distribution.

Food stuff such as beans, noodles, sugar, salt, garri, rice, pastas, vegetable oil, and many others, were looted from the store located within the moribund Cocoa Industry, Ede, Osun State.

However, the occurrence happened merely 24 hours after the Osun state government declared the ease of the curfew placed sequence the #EndSARS protest.

Governor Adegboyega Oyetola had in April established a 21-member Food and Relief Committee to curb the effect of COVID-19 on the residents of the state.

But, Mr Jimoh, noted that the looted food stuff had no direct bearing with the state government, also said that the food stuff were within the custody of the Food and Relief Committee.

He added that such food items could only be shared after a formal flag-off by the CACOVID Office, Abuja.

The statement read part: ”We do not have the authority to distribute the food items without approval from Abuja."



4) #EndSARS: Zenith, Access, FCMB bank buildings attacked by gangsters in Akwa Ibom.

Zenith, Access, and FCMB bank buildings were among the facilities destroyed on Thursday by gangsters in Uyo, Akwa Ibom.

An LG electronics shop and a popular store, De Choice Mall, in Uyo, were also vandalised and looted, PREMIUM TIMES learnt.

Ini Emembong, the commissioner for information, Akwa Ibom State, accompanied by other government officials, pay a visit to the vandalised facilities on Friday to confirm the extent of destructions.

Mr Ememobong stated that the damages was an ”act of criminality against democracy and humanity and will be treated as such.”

He said further that, “foreigners with active collaboration with some indigenous persons” were responsible for the attacks."

According to the statement credited to the Governor, Udom Emmanuel, said, “deeply sympathised” with corporate organisations and people affected by the attacks".

Amos Etuk, the chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) in Akwa Ibom State, accompanied Mr Ememobong on the inspection to the vandalized Facilities

Mr Etuk said the damages done to public and private enterprises was “senseless.”

“We were very shocked at what we saw, it was unbelievable,” he said. “Akwa Ibom State is not known for violence.”

5) EndSARS: Akeredolu ease curfew as peace returns to state capital.
Ondo state Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, has ease the 24 – hour curfew imposed on the state, sequence the return of peace to Akure, the state capital.

Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Mr Donald Ojogo, disclosed on Friday in Akure, that the action is taking effect from Saturday 24th Oct; 2020

Meanwhile Governor Rotimi Akeredolu placed the curfew on Wednesday to curb the loss of lives and properties as #EndSARS protesters took to the street in some major cities of the state.

The decision to ease the curfew according to Ojogo, sequence consultations between the governor and security chiefs in the state after a preliminary observation of the security situation.

“The relative peace in the state capital, Akure, appears very encouraging just as the people’s resolve, especially the youths, not to allow brigandage under any guise is equally palpable.

“It is, therefore, only normal that law abiding residents are allowed to go about their legitimate businesses.

“Government, however, emphasizes the need for all to be vigilant and law-abiding.

“This is moreso, that security agencies deployed to strategic areas of the state capital are under strict directives to enforce law and order for the enforcement of permanent peace,” he said. (NAN)


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post